Kindle: My library in a box



I am a voracious reader. I read before bed, travel with a stack of books for the plane, and have a an abnormal fear of running out of reading material. Reading is a hobby that I chose at an early age; a lack of siblings and hours at the school library provided me with an encouraging environment for seeking solitary entertainment.

I found myself researching the Kindle a year ago. The more I read, the more I fell in awe of the concept. I would be able to fly across the Atlantic, spend a few days traipsing through Paris or London, and return home all with one device as my downtime entertainment. No more lugging 4 paperbacks and 3 or 4 thick magazines around in a heavy carry on.

Fast forward to my birthday this March; I opened up the mail to discover a lovely surprise from Brian. The Kindle was easy to start; instructions were clear. I plugged it into the wall, but was delighted to discover that it already came charged enough for me to use it right away.

Downloading the books was simple, and reading them has been a pleasure. A few days later, my cover arrived, as did my book light (sold separately). I've discovered a world of classics and other books that can be downloaded for free or at very little cost. Most current bestsellers average about $9.99. There is an instruction manual that comes pre-loaded in the Kindle.

My first real test was a recent trip to St. Lucia. Turning the whispernet (the connection that allows readers to download books) off for the flight is a simple procedure. Other than the brief period in-flight where electronic devices are to be turned off, I was able to use it with no problems.

Keeping the whispernet turned off helps the Kindle stay charged for longer. The charge kept strong through the entire 5 day trip. When I returned, I still had more than half a battery.

A few things to keep in mind: The Kindle II has a couple of experimental features. One is text to speech, which has caused quite the controversy with publishers. I tested the feature. It "reads" okay, pleasant enough, but not near the quality of a recorded book on CD.

Another is basic web access. I tried this with a little success, but it is very slow and awkward. I even tried using mobile sites (those designed for mobile devices) to no avail. It worked best for the CNN text site (one of the pre-set bookmarks). If they improve web browsing, this would be a great addition.

I don't have an i-Pod, so I cannot review the experimental application that uses it.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Kindle. Happy reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Fantasy Vs. Reality

Gran Quivira