Finding Balance

Writing A Pinch of Salt was an exercise in finding balance. As a Christian, I want to keep my writing clean and point others to Christ. As a writer, I also want to keep my stories as authentic to life as they can be. The fact is, life is not always clean. Things get very messy, and the characters in my books are not all Christians. All my characters have flaws, and even the ones that are Christians make mistakes.

How, then, should I write in a way that shows the grit and grime of the world while keeping the writing clean enough for my audience to appreciate? Balance. For me, that means showing just enough detail in a given situation to be aware of the harsh realities of life without providing graphic descriptions or language to go along with the scene.

Writing a scene that makes the reader a little uncomfortable (for the sake of the character) is one thing, but writing a scene that makes the reader throw the book down in disgust is another. My goal is to afford my readers a myriad of emotions while at the same time providing them a clean, yet realistic, approach to the backdrop.

I worked hard to make A Pinch of Salt a balanced examination of a young woman’s struggle to find the truth. I hope you will join Heidi for her journey.

Introducing: A Pinch of Salt

Heidi wants nothing more than to return to Germany, work in her grandparents’ bakery, and reunite with her boyfriend Dirk. The harder Heidi works to pave her way to Germany, the more her choices begin to haunt her. Desperation leads Heidi to Germany just before Christmas, but what she finds there causes her hopes to unravel. Can Heidi rebuild her life before it’s too late?


A Pinch of Salt Available on Amazon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

The Inheritance Inn