Not What You'd Expect...

The Bronze Monkey of Heidelberg is not something people expect to see in Germany. Monkeys? Really? But, there has been a monkey of some sort in the city near the bridge for centuries. This particular version was installed in 1979 by Professor Gernot Rumpf. The first time I lived in the city, our FLAG class (Families Learning About Germany) took a field trip and visited the monkey. Now I love to show it to visiting friends and family. It's humorous and I daresay rubbing it is said to bring "good luck"--something I don't believe in, but a fun little thing for a photo op. And for those of you who are wondering; yes, there are some fun photos of me, Brian and friends with the monkey.

Comments

Angela said…
Maybe it's because it has been added since I was there...but I think it looks too modern for it's surroundings...kind of out of place.

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Fantasy Vs. Reality

Gran Quivira