No, that's not a UFO




I was flipping through pictures of Leonardo da Vinci's inventions and decided this would be the most interesting one to choose. I'm not even sure I remember what this was, exactly, except that I was like a kid on a playground as I climbed inside and turned the wheel. It kind of reminds me of those carnival rides where you go inside and spin around with the rock music blaring...or perhaps a hatch for the 'others' on "Lost."


And then, there's this: the human hamster wheel. I really was curious, but no, there was no way to actually climb into it, lawsuits and all that. There was a lever you could push, and it rotated some, but the fun was quickly left behind, my attention span not lasting so long. Really, now, why do they put these "shineys" up there for us to look at if half of them are going to be roped off or inoperable? Where's the fun in that?

Comments

Angela said…
Did it turn when you turned the wheel? I'm seriously wondering if he had hopes of flying in it!
Amber said…
I didn't post the picture, but inside there was a wheel that you turned. I don't think this was one of his flying ones, but he did have some. It was neat to see all of these models in the park.
BLH in FRG said…
DaVinci had plans for a Tank like vehicle that used several cannons pointing out from the center of the vehicle. It was mounted on wheels and could theoretically move and shoot while keeping the crew inside safe from enemy gunfire... This was never actually constructed but the plans he came up with started the development of actual tank design theory a few hundred years later.
Amber said…
Are you still in MD, BLH? Or are you in Germany now?
:)

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality