Love Locks

Just after leaving the John Lennon "Peace" wall in Prague, we continued on our walk to discover a bridge with these locks on it. We didn't see anything telling what they were, or why they were there. I didn't find anything in the guide book. Thankfully, a Segway tour was going by and the guy stopped and talked to his group about it. The tour was in English, so we listened in. They are "love locks" and it is a trend that occurs in other cities as well, but something I had not yet seen. The idea is that you and your love come put a lock on the wall and throw away the key (some toss it into the water under the bridge). I have to admit, I think the lock part is a neat idea, although I would hesitate throwing the key into the water for environmental reasons. These locks were of different shapes and sizes, and have been painted or marked on with the couples' initials and various colorful designs. I couldn't help but wonder, how long have these locks been on there and how many of these couples are still together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality