Vienna's Roman Ruins

A few weeks ago, Brian and I had the opportunity to visit Vienna, Austria. Vienna is a beautiful city most known for musical history: classical composers and musicians such as Mozart and Beethoven. However, as we walked through an old part of the city, we came across an unexpected archaeological dig. The Roman ruins and foundations of the city were dug a few years ago, and you can look down today and see ruins of ancient homes and streets
I have seen similar digs in Rome and other cities in Europe and the same questions always remain in my mind: how does so much modern architecture get built on structures that are later excavated and found to be in structurally original condition? Also, how much of these underground ruins were destroyed when subways and other modern infrastructure were put in? Just a few well placed rock blasts, and you've left history in the dust to make way for the future. It kind of reminds me of our lives. We are temporarily on this earth, only to die and return to dust. The only foundations that will still live on from us are the things we do for God. How we treat others, how we live our faith and honor Him will last an eternity. The rest, much like these buildings, will someday fade away.





Comments

Angela said…
Hi Amber, Your mom gave me your blog address. I have talked with her a few times at church and out to eat. My husband works with her. I'm enjoying your lovely pictures and the obvious way the Lord is a part of your life and thoughts.
I lived in Ramstein for 18 months in 1966-67. A few of your photos looked familiar to me. I'm looking forward to following along on your travels!!
Angela

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality