Yeah, My Floor Was Laid By Hand, Too...

Okay, to go along with last week's blog about wasted time, I decided to post these photos of mosaic floors for wealthy leaders and merchants of long ago. I laugh, because in quite a few blogs, I mention that I am amazed at the time and talent of our ancestors. I am; these floors are beautiful! I believe a lot of artisan skills are being lost, or at the very least, becoming less a part of our society. On the other hand, it only takes a couple days to install floors in the average home today versus how long to plan and install something like the floors we see here? Two thousand years ago? The laborers then went to their dirt floored cottage or tent and slept a couple hours only to come back the next day. My dad used to install floors for a living. It is tiresome, long work and little pay. Not much has changed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality