Linderhof and Hohenschwangau

One of my readers has asked for pictures of the castles/palaces where the swan came from. Linderhof, pictured above, is where last week's swan photo was taken. Linderhof was never completed; the Mad King mysteriously perished in a lake (how's that for a Gothic novel?) before his tribute to the Sun King (King Louis XIV of France) could be finished. He did, however, have time to have a mini Hall of Mirrors installed. What was with the royalty of this time period? Obsessed with having the gaudiest furnishings? And obsessed with each other, too! Below you will see another of Ludwig's family estates, Hohenschwangau. I'm going to have to look a little more to find Neuschwanstein's photo....I think all we have are some of it tucked up in the trees. Either way, these beautiful, if yet obscene, homes are only the tip of the iceberg as to what all there is to do and see in Bavaria. Last week I also included a peacock, and I will post its palace photos next week. Enjoy!

Comments

Angela said…
Beautiful! I was able to visit Linderhof and Neushwanstein in the sixties. They are amazing, but my childhood images of living in a castle were quickly brought to reality. They are such cold dark places, even when filled with gold and ivory and crystal. It kind of illustrates how great riches and much gold are not what satisfies, don't you think?
Amber said…
I do agree. So many of the royalty had so many worldly possessions, yet were trapped in unhappy lives constrained by societal expectations. I wonder if any of them ever just decided to walk away from it all?

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality