Bridges, Part II

Last week I posted pictures of bridges from Venice, and talked about how we have to walk across difficult bridges in life. This week's bridge is from Hamilton, Ontario. We traveled there in the fall, and earlier I posted photos of the waterfalls. Today's post is to remind us to build bridges in relationships. I have had to learn how to build relationships because Brian and I move so much. I've made close friends at a location, only to lose the friendship after a move. Sometimes we stay in touch, other times, it fades. Perhaps it is a lack of common ground after we move apart. It's frustrating when that happens, but every new location brings new opportunities. It's not easy being new in town. At first, the excitement of the move starts, and I'm busy learning about my new area and getting settled. I start to make contacts for volunteer or work opportunities, but after three weeks, I feel a slightly nervous twinge at the back of my mind: it's time to make friends. Sometimes this is easier than others. Brian and I have been fortunate with the past few moves to make friends at church. In the past, I've gotten to know women through volunteering, working, or even a FLAG (Families Learning About Germany)class in Heidelberg. But the first contact starts there, and someone has to make the move to offer to go to lunch, shopping, etc. There's the awkward "let's exchange numbers" that occurs when making a new friend, followed by the weeks of silence. That doesn't work. Rarely do people actually make that call in an ambiguous offer of friendship. In order to make friends, someone has to say: "Let's go shop along the Hauptstrasse on Thursday, since that's our day off. I'll call you." Someone has to make the first move. If you come across someone who is new and seems friendly, try getting to know them. You don't have to become friends, but you never know. There's a lot to be said on the subject, but I'll leave it at that for now. More later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality