They Just Don't Build Them...

They just don't build them like this anymore. That's the first thought that ran through my head when I looked at this recent ceiling photo from Kensington Palace. Those ropelike things (don't you like my technical terminology) lead to chandeliers, one of which you can see in the bottom right corner. This ceiling is like one of many I've seen on our travels; so extravagant I cannot fathom the time, creativity and effort put into it. The amount of sketching and planning, starting and restarting; I just cannot imagine completing such a feat. I wouldn't know where to begin. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the clean lined simplicity that is found in modern architecture, but it sometimes looks as though beautiful creativity is waning in favor of cookie cutter neatness. I spend a lot of time looking at architecture, both in person and in magazines. There isn't much out there today that resembles the palaces of times long gone. Every now and then, I'll come across an article about a modern day palace, chateau, or castle resident that has restored their bit of history. They have taken the time to do so, often over a period of years. Imagine, for a moment, the vast palaces were once constructed by hand. Sometimes in our technology, I think we're learning to think a little less. Hopefully these handcrafted skills won't be lost forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality