Anne Frank

How fitting that we spent time on Memorial Day at Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam. We left for the weekend trip on the Friday before, which is when these pictures were taken. However, the line was so long that afternoon, and we were so very tired, that we decided to take a boat ride instead and return later.

I've never read Anne Frank's Diary, but in school I did read Corrie ten Boom's The Hiding Place. I've read other books about the horrors of WWII, as well. This house brought a sense of connectedness more than any other exhibit I think I've seen. Anne's father, Otto, was the only survivor from her family. It stuns me to realize that Anne and her sister Margot only missed freedom by a mere few months; dying instead of typhus. Anne wanted to be a journalist, and write someday of the "secret annex". Her wish came true, albeit posthumously.

Otto Frank returned and had Anne's diary published. He also prepared the way for the museum, asking that the furniture be left out. The walls of the house are wallpapered and mostly bare, save photos and a few mementos...and I think that adds to the realism. You actually walk through their space, rather than stopped at a roped off room. My eyes were filled with tears by the time we were halfway through.

I am grateful to see the house was busy. It means that there are people still going through, learning about history. Hopefully people will realize the reality of what has happened, and learn to love others.

Comments

Angela said…
That place made a big impression on me too. I had read the book, but I couldn't picture how the rooms they were in were hidden until I saw them. I read her book again with new understanding when we went home.

Popular posts from this blog

Lion Mural

Gran Quivira

Fantasy Vs. Reality